Dawson edges Shadow Creek in OT to win district crown

PEARLAND DAWSON — For the second straight year, the Dawson Eagles won the District 23-6A title after getting a 31-28 overtime win against Shadow Creek who won the Class 5A Div. I state championship last season.

The Sharks moved up to Class 6A this year after the University Interscholastic League (UIL) realignment.

Shadow Creek was the pre-season favorite to capture the district title with Pearland picked second and Dawson picked to finish third, even after winning the league crown last year.

Dawson entered the district showdown with a perfect 8-0 overall record and 6-0 in district while Shadow Creek was 4-2 having lost to North Shore and Bridgeland, but were 4-0 in league play.

The game ended in a 28-28 tie between the two district heavyweights.

The Sharks got the ball first in overtime, but an errant throw by All-State QB Kyron Drones that was intercepted by David Fisher in the end zone to give the Eagles their shot at ending the game with their overtime possession.

Dawson began at the 25 and drove the ball to the Sharks six-yard line when Dawson head coach Mike Allison called on his All-State placekicker junior Carter Brown to kick a 23-yard game-winning field goal.

With ice water in his veins, the dependable Brown drilled the ball through the uprights for the 31-28 overtime victory and the celebration began for the Dawson faithful.

“Carter Brown, he’s a phenomenal kicker,” Eagles coach Mike Allison said. “The snap by Carter Ostrom, the hold by David Jefferson, and the kick by Carter. Those guys have been doing it together for a while, they’re comfortable with it, and I’m at ease when they’re out there.”

Shadow Creek scored the first touchdown in the game on a 1-yard keeper by Drones to take a 7-0 lead in the opening quarter.

Dawson would score three touchdowns to take a 21-7 lead at halftime.

Quarterback Collin Johnson’s 62-yard pass to Ashton Stroman set up a 5-yard scoring run by Burgess on the following play to knot up the score 7-7.

Dawson went up 14-7 on a 53-yard scoring pass from receiver Ryan Guillo to Jefferson and the second of four extra points made by Brown. Guillo caught a backward pass from Johnson and connected to a wide-open Jefferson, who coasted in the remaining 30-yards after making the catch.

Torrence Burgess added the third score on a 7-yard scamper to increase the lead to 21-7 at intermission.

But Shadow Creek wasn't going away as they scored a touchdown in the third quarter while holding the Eagles scoreless to close the gap to 21-14 on a pass from Drones to C.J. Guidry covering 25-yards.

The Sharks tied up the game 21-21 after recovering a fumble at the Eagles 11 at the end of the third period. Isaiah Harper scored on a 3-yard run.

Dawson responded with a 92-yard drive for a go-ahead touchdown capped by a 2-yard run from Blake Smith out of the wildcat formation to retake the lead 28-21. Ja'Den Stewart, who rushed for a game-high 156 yards on 28 carries, ran for 71 yards on the drive, including a 48-yarder on the first play of the series.

The Eagles got a big defensive play from DB Jonah Ledet who intercepted Drones in the end zone with 4:26 remaining in the game with Dawson ahead 28-21.

Shadow Creek got the ball back following a Dawson punt at their own 42 with 3:20 left in the fourth quarter.

The Sharks went on an eight-play, 58-yard drive in the closing minutes to score on a Drones to Lawrence Armstrong covering 19-yards to tie up the contest 28-28 with 1:28 left.

The two teams settled for overtime with Brown deciding the outcome with his strong leg 31-28.

“It was a huge win,” Allison said. “(Shadow Creek) is a very talented team and it was tough. Our kids played their butts off and I’m super proud of them.”

Johnson was 5-of-9 passing for 81 yards while Guillo threw one pass for 53 yards and a score.

Burgess had 14 carries for 57 yards and two scores.

Jefferson had one catch for 53 yards and one TD. Ashton Stroman had three grabs for 66 yards.