Dawson comes up short against North Shore

PEARLAND DAWSON — When Dawson head coach Mark Barre looks back at his game against North Shore, he will always know that his team had a legitimate chance to knock off the Mustangs to advance to the 6A Region III finals with a 34-30 win.

North Shore went on to edge Dawson's 23-6A rival George Ranch 35-32 to advance to the 6A state basketball tournament.

With only :32 seconds left in the game, the Eagles trailed 31-26 after Josh Compton drilled a 3-pointer.

Eagle post Lorenzo Waddy then grabbed an inbounds lob and dropped it in the basket with 24.68 seconds left for a 31-28 score, and Dawson immediately called timeout.

After a quick foul, North Shore’s Capers missed the front end of a one-and-one with 22 seconds left.

Dawson’s Jordan Marshall fired up a potential game-tying trey from the corner that went halfway down and came out. Waddy grabbed the rebound, was fouled and made both free throws for a 31-30 score with eight seconds showing.

The Eagles immediately fouled Mustang junior guard Joshua Cooper, who made both free throws with 6.76 seconds left for a 33-30 score.

In Dawson’s effort to produce a game-tying trey, an inbounds pass caused DK Thorn lose his balance and he stepped on the line for a turnover giving the ball back to the Mustangs.

North Shore’s Jalen Means was immediately fouled and hit one of two free throws with 3.91 seconds left to seal the victory at 34-30.

The final assessment of the game had to be the turnovers and missed shots by both teams.

“I knew it would be a brawl kind of a game,” said Barre. “We had 11 points and 12 turnovers by halftime.

“I don’t know if we were nervous, but we gave away eight to 10 points underneath the basket early. Lorenzo (Waddy) gave us some stuff at the end, but we needed him to score more than he did.

“It’s just a grind out there. North Shore has good length and they make it tough.”

The score was only 17-11 at halftime in favor of the Mustangs and it was 22-18 entering the final quarter.

After North Shore went on a 7-0 run to make the score 31-23 with 35 seconds left in the game, it appeared they had a lock on the outcome, but the never-say-die Eagles weren't going away as they hustled their way to a 7-0 run of their own to close the gap at 31-30 with eight seconds showing on the clock.

But the Eagles were unable to get the game-tying shot at the end.

“This was an unknown team with one returning starter,” Barre said. “We were picked to finish fourth in district. To get to the end of a third-round game against a team that was No. 1 in the state and is now 31-3…that’s quite an accomplishment.

“Winning a ninth consecutive district championship…it was a heck of a season. This has been such an easy group to coach. I never had to manage off-court issues. It’s been a really enjoyable team.”