Lady Mustangs crowned area track champions; boys finish third
April 24, 2019
FRIENDSWOOD — The Friendswood Lady tracksters have captured the District 22-5A title and the 21-22 5A area crown. Their next stop will be at the 5A Region III track meet that will be held at the CCISD Challenger Stadium on April 26-27. The qualifiers at this meet will advance to the 5A state track meet in Austin.
Friendswood nipped Barbers Hill for the area title with 100 points while Barbers Hill finished with 98 points.
Other teams and their scores included: Port Arthur Memorial (74), Crosby (56), Port Neches-Groves (45), Baytown Goose Creek Memorial (42), Nederland (40), Texas City (38), Ball High (32), Galena Park (21), Baytown Lee (19), Santa Fe (18), Cleveland (14), Dayton (12), and Vidor (11).
The area title was decided by the last event of the track meet.
"The point totals for the team title came down to the very last event of the meet - the 4x400 meter relay," said Friendswood girls track coach Lindsey Lee. "Our 4x400 meter relay team of Taylor Munro, Sarah Carambat, Emma Wittman and Olivia Theall placed fourth (in the rain).
"They qualified for the regional meet and earned enough points to beat Barbers Hill by two points for the team title! It was truly an amazing race to watch!"
Friendswood girls qualifying for the regional track meet includes:
- Christi Wood: discus - 1st place (120-10)
- Destiny Wilfork: shot put - 4th place (33-10)
- Sarah Carambat: 100 meter hurdles - 3rd place (16.44)
- Emma Wittman: 300 meter hurdles - 1st place (46.84)
- Faith Brothers: 1600 meters - 1st place (5:24.16) and 3200 meters - 1st place (12:09.22)
- Olivia Theall: 800 - 2nd place (2:25.22)
- Callie Farrar: 3200 meters - 4th place (12:58.84)
- Grace Etzel: 3200 meters - 3rd place (12:53.63)
- Catherine Sims: 1600 meters - 2nd place (5:36.57)
- Brynna Halata: pole vault - 2nd place (9-00)
- Taylor Munro, Sarah Carambat, Emma Wittman, Olivia Theall - 4x400 relay - 4th place (4:13.16)
The Friendswood boys track team finished third in the 21-22 5A area track competition with 83 points. Port Arthur Memorial won the area title with 166 points with Barbers Hill coming in second place with 84 points.
Other teams finishing behind the Mustangs included Ball High (78), Crosby (46), Baytown Goose Creek Memorial (38), Galena Park (34), Baytown Lee (22), Nederland (21), Texas City (20), Santa Fe (14), Port Neches-Groves (8), Dayton (4), and Cleveland (2).
Qualifying for the regional track meet include:
- Mike Hermes- High Jump - 1st place - (6-04)
- Jack Ehrman- Triple Jump - 2nd place - (42-11.50)
- Daniel Armstrong- 400m - 2nd place (49.60) and 800m - 3rd place (2:03.69)
- Andrew Camp- 1600m - 2nd place (4:44.19) and 3200m - 3rd place (10:22.41)
- TJ, Bryant, Cole Robbins, Jordyn Villanueva, Daniel Armstrong - 4x400 relay - 2nd place (13:24.87)
- Noah Kester- Shot Put - 3rd Place (49-10) and Discus - 3rd place (143-0)
Jordyn Villanueva- 300m Hurdle - 4th place (39.43)