Friendswood thrashes GC Memorial 62-0

FRIENDSWOOD — The way a team begins a game can set the tone for the way the game is going to go and Friendswood certainly set the tone early when Seth Spruill took the opening kickoff 80-yards for a touchdown and a quick 7-0 lead that took only 12 seconds off the game clock.

“This football team has come a long way in five or six weeks,” Friendswood head football coach Robert Koopmann said. “It’s amazing how much growth we’ve had. It’s a testament to the coaching staff, and it’s a testament to the kids.”

The Mustangs started the season 0-4, but they now have won the last four games to even their record at 4-4 and have punched their ticket to the post-season.

GC Memorial were forced to punt on their first possession which was blocked by Friendswood's Noah Garcia and recovered by Cade Helton at the Patriots' 13-yard line.

It took only two plays for Friendswood to capitalize on the turnover as Caleb Corkran scored on a 9-yard run to put the Mustangs ahead 14-0 at the 9:48 mark of the opening quarter.

Friendswood added to their early lead after another turnover by GC Memorial. QB Matthew Dupuis hit Spruill for a 15-yard scoring strike to give the Mustangs a 21-0 advantage.

Lightening struck again as Garcia blocked his second punt and Helton picked up the ball and ran 5-yards for the score to give Friendswood a 28-0 lead with 6:32 left in the opening quarter.

“We were up 28-0 after just three offensive snaps,” Koopmann said. “Our plan was to pound the ball and do the things we needed to do, but it got out of hand for them."

With 22 seconds still left in the first quarter, Friendswood score again as Jackson Rhodes capped a 13-play, 62-yard drive with a 13-yard TD run for a 35-0 lead.

The Mustangs built a 42-0 halftime lead when Dupuis hit Aiden Stokes open on a 15-yard scoring strike.

GC Memorial's special team woes continued in the third quarter when Will Blok recovered a botched GCM snap in the end zone for a TD, and Jackson Rhodes added a 1-yard TD run for a 55-0 lead heading into the final period.

Riley Davis scored on a 3-yard QB keeper with 3:40 remaining in the game to make the final score 62-0.

Friendswood (4-4, 4-1) will travel to Courville Stadium in Galveston to face the Ball High Tors (4-4, 3-2) on Friday, October 29 at 7:00 p.m.