Foster hands Friendswood first loss of season 28-20

FRIENDSWOOD — It is hard to lose a game that one feels they should have won -- which is the way Friendswood head coach Robert Koopmann felt after the Mustangs dropped their first game of the season to Richmond Foster 28-20.

"We beat ourselves," said Koopmann. "It was our mistakes that cause that to happen. Those were the mistakes that we can control, so we'll come back and start working on those. We're not going to let this loss define us."

Friendswood can't afford to let those kind of mistakes happen again against their next opponent when the Shadow Creek Sharks show up on Friday, October 19 for the Mustangs Homecoming contest.

Picked to finish sixth in the 10-5A-I district before the season, the Sharks are no longer under the radar as a first-year varsity team as they have demolished every opponent they have faced this season including district favorite Angleton who advanced to the 5A Div. I state semifinals last year.

Shadow Creek is now 6-0 overall and sitting atop the district leaderboard at 3-0 with their high-octane offense.

Despite the mistakes against Foster, the never-say-die Mustangs still had a chance to tie up the game and force overtime after Ryan Helton recovered an onside kick at the Foster 45-yard line with just under a minute left in the game.

With Foster leading 28-14, Friendswood scored with :57 seconds left in the game when quarterback Luke Grden hit Christian Lee on a short 4-yard scoring toss. The PAT was blocked leaving the Mustangs trailing 28-20 with still some life.

Facing fourth-and-eight at the Foster 43, Friendswood tried a little razzle-dazzle as Zach Zamora tried a throw back pass to Grden who caught the ball, but stumbled to the ground well short of the first down ending the last ditch hope of pulling out a win.

The Mustangs scored first when they drove 88-yards in six plays that was capped off by a 39-yard scoring pass from Grden to Austin Alvarez for a 7-0 lead with 4:03 left in the first quarter.

Foster tied up the game with 9:20 left in the second quarter when Chase Parker scored on a 25-yard scoring toss from QB Ryan Stubblefield to complete a 73-yard drive in nine plays.

Friendswood stuck again a few minutes later when Grden hit Zamora on a 22-yard strike for a 14-7 lead with 5:59 left in the first half completing a 54-yard, nine-play possession.

With 1:55 left in the first half, Foster tied the game on a 24-yard scoring dash by RB Mario Simmons.

The Falcons forced Friendswood to punt following the ensuing kickoff and that's when one of the game-changing mistakes would happen as the Mustangs got a bad snap in punt formation and Foster got the ball at the Friendswood 36 with just :31 seconds left before intermission.

Once again, Simmons would burn the Friendswood defense with a 20-yard scoring burst giving the Falcons a 21-14 halftime lead.

The Mustangs weren't able to generate any scoring offense in the second half and Simmons would deliver the lethal blow with only 3:08 left in the contest on a 17-yard scoring dash giving Foster the 28-14 advantage.

Grden was 16-of-32 passing for 225 yards and three TDs and one INT.

Luke Revere was the leading Friendswood rusher with 16 carries for 57 yards.

Alvarez had five catches for 90 yards and one score while Zamora had five grabs for 63 yards. Lee had two catches for 22 yards and two TDs.